Level of Difficulty: Easy
Prep. Time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Doses: 4 - 6 persons
- 165g Pitted Green Olives Maçarico
- 165g Pitted Black Olives Maçarico
- 500g bread flour
- 1 tsp (5g) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2g) garlic powder
- 1 tsp (1g) rosemary
- 1 1/2 tsp (3g) chili flakes
- Fresh thyme leaves
- 25g fresh yeast (or 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast)
- 360ml water
- In a large bowl mix flour with salt, garlic powder, rosemary, chilli flakes and fresh thyme leaves.
- Dissolve the fresh yeast in ½ cup (120ml) water and add to the flour mixture. Add the rest of 1 cup (240ml) water and start kneading the dough until pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
- Add olives and knead a bit more until incorporated. Grease with olive oil a clean bowl, transfer the dough and cover with plastic wrap. Let it rest for 2.5 hours at room temperature until tripled in size.
- On a floured surface flatten the dough into an oval shape and start rolling one edge inward it. Roll and turn upside down and shape it into a ball. Sprinkle flour and cornmeal over a clean towel, add the dough and cover. Let rise for another 30-45 minutes.
- Meanwhile turn the oven to 240Cº and add a 23cm round iron cast pan inside without the lid. Leave it in the oven for about 30-45 minutes until the dough rise in the towel.
- Remove the iron cast pan from the oven, turn the dough into the pan and put the lid on. Bake for 25-30 minutes at 240Cº with the lid on to create steam.
- Remove the lid and bake for another 20 minutes at 230Cº to let the bread get some crispy golden brown crust.
- Let it cool completely before cutting the bread.